Posted on January 12, 2008 by rhyannefranz
Kadarating lang namin ni Nicole galing Binan Laguna kasama namin ang bunsong kapatid nya pero bumaba na ito sa Pandacan Station ng PNR. Ito bale ang
unang beses kong makasakay ng metrotren pati na din si Nicole. Astig talaga in a sense na kakaiba sya sa ibang tren tulad ng MRT, LRT, LRTA… D’ sya airconditioned katulad ng mga nabanggit ko pero yung experience eh kakaiba, aside from the bumpy ride eh kakaiba nga ang tanawin at ang mga taong sumasakay. Nakascreen yung mga windows nya for the reason na pwedeng hagisan ng mga basura yung bintana pag di ginawa yun ng mga squatter although mas lesser na ang mga iskwater sa gilid ng tren. Bale ang istorya eh pumunta kami ng Binan ng thursday night para maglipat bahay. yup third time na namin lumilipat ng nirerentahan, yung una sa Carlos Pandacan kanila Ate Alpha, tapos dun sa kachurchmate nila na si Sister Betty sa may Presinto 10 sa may Bayan Pandacan then ngayon naman sa Binan Laguna nga kung saan malapit ang work ng mama ni Nicole. Bale ang kasama ng mama nya ngayon ay si Mel-mel yung sumunod kay Nicole. Doon muna sya magstay and Nicole will be with me here in Tondo, and Imack the youngest would be staying with her Tita Pacita in Pandacan to continue his studies.
History of PNR
The island of Luzon has been endowed with nature’s blessings but only slightly stirred by trade and commercial activity. The galleons that plowed the seas to and from Mexico offered some awesome sights to the Filipinos at that time. Under these prevailing conditions, the railroad was introduced as means of exploiting the untapped riches of the virgin island of Luzon.
On June 25, 1875, by virtue of royal decree of King Alfonso XII of Spain, required Inspector of Public Works of the Philippine Island to submit a general plan for the establishment of a railroad line in the island of Luzon. After five months of conscientious study, Don Eduardo Lopez Navarro, head of the Public Works Office submitted the plan called “Memoria Sobre el Plan General de Ferrocarilles en la Isla de Luzon.” The plan was granted for its implementation. On June 1, 1887, a concession for the construction of a railway line from Manila to Dagupan, Pangasinan was awarded to Don Edmundo Sykes of the Ferrocaril de Manila-Dagupan, the original corporate name of Manila Railway Company Ltd. of London.
On July 31, 1887, the cornerstore was laid at the present site of its main terminal building at Tutuban, Manila. Five years later, on November 24, 1892, the first 195 kilometer railway line from Manila to Dagupan in Northern Luzon was opened for operation.
On February 4, 1916, the Philippine Legislaturer passed Act. No. 2547 acquiring the then Manila Railroad Company (MRR). Construction of lines continued such that by 1940, the railway had been extended up to Legaspi, Albay in the South and to San Fernando, La Union in he north. Branch lines were constructed from Paniqui, Tarlac to San Quintin, Pangasinan; from Tarlac, Tarlac to San Jose, Nueva Ecija; from Bigaa, Bulacan to Cabanatuan City; from San Fernando, Pampanga to Carmen, Pangasinan; from College to Sta. Cruz, Laguna and from Sta. Mesa to Hulo in Mandaluyong.
The Second World War brought considerable damages to the system. The United States Army, which had temporarily gained control of the Company, after the war in 1945, was able to restore 40% of the pre-war lines.
On February 1, 1946, the control of the railway system was turned over to the Philippine Government. Of the 1,140 route-kilometers before the war, only 452 route-kilometers were made operational. Since then, the activities were concentrated on the rehabilitation and/or reconstruction of damaged railway facilities. The period 1954-1957 marked the dieselization program of the Company. Steam engines were retired and replaced by diesel electric engines.
On June 20, 1946, Republic Act No. 4156, the new Charter was passed, renaming the Company to what it is today – Philippine National Railways (PNR). This law had been amended twice: first Republic Act No. 6366 enacted on August 20, 1971 which provided for the rehabilitation and selective modernization program of the Philippine National Railways; and the second by Presidential Decree No. 741 issued on July 3, 1975 which raised the capital stock to P1.5 billion.
On July 23, 1979, Executive Order No. 546 was issued by the President of the Republic of the Philippines, creating the then Ministry of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), with the PHILIPPINE NATIONAL RAILWAYS as one of the attached government agencies.
In March 1990, the Main Line South (MLS) has been rehabilitated. The rehabilitation included the acquisition of Diesel Electric Locomotives (DEL) and the introduction of concrete ties in selected sections of the south line. In 1992, additional units of Diesel Electric Locomotives had been acquired.
On February 23, 1995, the Improvement and Modernization of Commuter Line South had been started. The Commuter Line South starts at Tutuban, Manila, and ends in Calamba, Laguna with branch line to Carmona, Cavite, a total stretch of 40 kilometers.
more on PNR
Filed under: philippines, transportation | Tagged: train, transportation, vacation | 6 Comments »
Posted on January 9, 2008 by rhyannefranz
The all new Subaru Forester was launched recently in Japan, in its third generation since it was first launched in 1997. There are three variants offered in Japan, the 2.0X, the 2.0XS and the 2.0XT, ranging from basic, midrange to premium. The 2.0XT model also has better off-road capability, with a 225mm ground clearance compared to the 2.0X and the 2.0XS’s 215mm clearance.
The Subaru Forester uses a double-wishbone rear suspension and the usually strut-tyep front suspension. The new Forester uses an advanced form of Subaru’s proprietary Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame Body Structure. Through streamlined body construction and the extensive use of high-tensile steel, including 590 MPa–level steel for key structural body frames, the new model achieves higher body rigidity, improved straight-line driving stability, and riding comfort. Despite its larger body and platform, compared to the predecessor, the vehicle weight increases only minimally.
The 2.0X and 2.0XS uses a 2.0 liter normally aspirated DOHC boxer engine putting out 148 PS and 191Nm. The engine also has AVCS, or active valve control system, essentially a continuously variable valve timing system. This improves low to mid-range torque. The 2.0XT uses a 2.0 liter turbocharged boxer engine, putting out 230 PS and 319Nm. It uses a resin-based intake manifold which ha smooth inner walls which are less resistant to the intake flow. The weight is also reduced by 30% compared to the earlier manifold.
The manual and auto transmissions use different AWD systems. The automatic models get an Active Torque Split AWD, while the manual models use a centre differential AWD system with viscous LSD (limited slip differential). All models come standard with Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), a form of stability control
Filed under: cars | Tagged: cars, transportation, vehicles | 2 Comments »